The Counties Cycle Classic returns this year on October 13th at, Pukekohe Park raceway again using the world-famous VS track to start and finish the races. Fast become a fixture on the cycling calendar, the event organized by the Rotary Club of Pukekohe Inc. is shaping up to be even bigger and better this year.
Organiser Graham Russell says the classic has again been well supported by sponsorship from local businesses and a grant from the Franklin Local board of Auckland Council. "This on-going support along with the level of entries tells us that we're ticking all the right boxes for what the community wants."
The Counties Cycle Classic caters for serious riders who take on the 92K challenge, an intermediate distance for those looking for a bit of a challenge, and the shorter 42k course for casual riders. As well as the traditional rides, the Classic has a special e-bike section where riders are challenged to get as close as they can to a pre-set time, and rides for children around the VS track -definitely an experience to share at school talks. As a Rotary initiative, every dollar raised goes to charity and youth sports, so Russell is challenging everyone to "jump on your bikes and start training."
This year's Counties Cycle Classic will be held on Sunday 13 October 2019, just a couple of weeks ahead of the K2 on the Coromandel and about six weeks before Taupo which is also a Rotary initiative. "A great warm-up opportunity to start getting yourself in shape" says Russell.
Distances are the same as last year: 42km, 52km, 97km plus a time trial for electric bikes on the 52km course. The ride is on roads with very little traffic and great scenery. There is also the opportunity for children to ride around the VS track whilst the cycle races are out on the road. So, come along and enjoy a great family day out.
For more information and registration, visit: http://countiescycleclassic.co.nz/
This is what they said about last year's Counties Cycle Classic:
• It was really enjoyable and well managed. (Our first time in Pukekohe )"
• Congratulations with organizing a great cycle race.
• what a great event I thought yesterday was. We will encourage more of the local club members to come along next year."
• thank you for putting on such a well organized race. We enjoyed being a sponsor and the boys had a great ride."
• I really enjoyed the event. Just the second cycle event I have done. I
entered the 97km event and enjoyed the route and felt safe with the
traffic management you had in place. The road chosen had plenty of
shoulder space where there was traffic."
• Thanks for a well run event in the weekend."
• Thanks for a great event. It was my first race in New Zealand and I
thoroughly enjoyed it . Please thank all the marshals along the route for guiding us and stopping the traffic to allow us to keep going. I felt very safe along the whole ride and will definitely ride again next year.
• Great cycling event, flawlessly organized
• Fantastic organisation this year"